Monday, March 9, 2015

Welcome Home Yanira!

I am so grateful that a few days ago our weather changed and it doesn't just look like springtime.  It actually is warm and sunny like springtime.  I love the sunshine and I am very hopeful that we are in this nice weather for good!  This is just one of the beautiful weeds that grows everywhere.  It may be a weed, but the flower is so pretty and it makes me so happy when I see it.  



At 5:00 a.m. Monday morning, Elder Larsen took Elders McAlister, Peterson, Sarango, and Maxfield to the airport.  Elders Davis and Lopez spent the morning with us.  We had a big American breakfast and they enjoyed a little computer time to email.  Then Elder Larsen took Elder Lopez to the airport to get his new companion and they headed back to Fuerteventura.  Elder Larsen took Elder Davis to Las Palmas to stay with the missionaries there until Wednesday when his new companion came in. Elder Larsen picked up Elder Bigelow, who is Elder Norrell's new companion in Telde.  He stayed with us for a couple of hours and enjoyed a homemade pizza for lunch.  Then Elder Larsen made another run to the airport to pick up Elder Guerra, who is Elder Nash's new companion in Vecindario. By 7:00 p.m., Elder Larsen had all the missionaries where they needed to be.  Hermana West and I just spent the day cooking and visiting with the elders as they came and went.  

 Elders Davis and Lopez

 Elders Barlow, Bigelow, Rawson, and Lopez

 Elders Guerra, Nash, Bigelow,  and Norrell


I am sure that Hermana West was very tired of us by the time Wednesday afternoon rolled around. She was a wonderful guest and a good helper in the kitchen.  On Wednesday morning, we made lasagne, salad, garlic bread, and banana cake.  Actually, we made two banana cakes.  The first one failed miserably, so I had to whip out another one.  Oh the baking woes!  After district meeting, Hermana West and Elder Davis went with Elder Larsen to pick up their new companions.  We are happy to welcome Hermana Rossberg to the island.  She just finished her training in Madrid.  


Wednesday night we were in Vecindario and I got to meet Elder Guerra.  He is very friendly and ready to work.


Elder Bartholomew's new companion is Elder Rawson.  He is also the new zone leader.  As you can tell by his smile, he is happy to be here and ready to work.


Saturday night we had a welcome home party for Yanira Parilla.  She served her mission in the Spain Malaga Mission.  We are glad to have her home again to be part of our group.

We had one of the young adults favorite dinners, chicken enchiladas, refried beans, and Texas caviar. with banana cake that did not fail.


Afterwards, we played very competitive games of Pictionary and then Wheel of Fortune.  Everyone really had a fun time.







And Joan volunteered to wash dishes.  I think he is just getting ready for his April wedding and is practicing being a great husband.



Sunday morning we attended the first two hours of church in Las Palmas.  Then we drove to Vecindario for Institute.  We had a good lesson and finished up with one of my favorite videos about the life of John Tanner.  If you want to be inspired, take the time to watch this twenty minute video. This man is the perfect example of giving his all for the Lord.  I feel humbled every time I watch it, and it causes me to take an inventory of where I am in my journey of coming to the Lord.  It makes me think of this quote by C.S. Lewis, from Mere Christianity:

“Give me all of you!!! I don’t want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work. I want YOU!!! ALL OF YOU!! I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man or woman, but to KILL IT! No half measures will do. I don’t want to only prune a branch here and a branch there; rather I want the whole tree out! Hand it over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them ALL over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self---in my image. Give me yourself and in exchange I will give you Myself. My will, shall become your will. My heart, shall become your heart.”

I have a long way to go!


We always love the opportunity to see our missionaries.

And after class, we had a belated celebration of Mosíah's birthday with his favorite, cinnamon rolls. He put his mission papers in last week, so we are just waiting for his call.






No comments:

Post a Comment