Sunday, September 28, 2014

Zone Training

 YUM!!

I am so thankful that many years ago, my dear friend Kamian Christensen shared not only some delicious cinnamon rolls with me, but also the recipe for these cinnamon rolls.  And now as the smell of cinnamon fills my kitchen, every time I bake these cinnamon rolls early in the morning, after they have raised all night, I always think of my sweet friend.  Thanks Kamian!  


Much of my time is being spent teaching piano lessons.  I am so excited to have these students who are excited to develop this skill that can bless them and others.  I caught these five students together at their young women activity. (Julia was there with her mother.)  Don't you love their sweet smiles?!
Julia, Paola, Hermana Larsen, Eli, Denisse, Teresa

Elder Tanner and Elder Hansen had a great object lesson for our home evening lesson.  They talked about how Christ's gospel can be a protection to us from all the sin and temptations of the world. How blessed we are to have this knowledge and we need to make sure and apply it in our lives!

Luis, one of my English students was helping with the demonstration.

Afterwards, we played a silly game where you had to sing a song and do a dance if you lost a round. 

Here are a few fun pictures of the missionaries. 






At our zone training meeting this week, we saw a video of a talk that Pres. Uchtdorf gave to a group of mission presidents.  It was so inspiring.  He told us that we have the Lord's living water.  And then he asked if we are going to drink of the living water through a pinched straw, or are we going to drink deeply of those waters.  I love that thought and plan to drink more deeply to improve my life.  He also shared the words to one of my favorite hymns, "How Firm a Foundation," which are taken from Isaiah 41:10.
           
Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.  

And, of course, afterwards I fed them.  We had barbecue chicken sandwiches, potato salad, baked beans, chips, and chocolate cake.  One of the missionaries said, "This is the greatest.  It is so American!"  I love giving them a piece of home.  
Elders Maxfield, Dyer, Bybee, Wiltbank, Hansen, Tanner, Thunell, 
Hermanas Irigoyen, Trone, Elders Sarango, Vallejos, and a headless Elder Larsen


 Elder Maxfield and Elder Dyer

 Elder Hansen and Elder Tanner

Hermana Irigoyen and Hermana Trone

Saturday we had an Indexing activity with the young single adults from Vecindario.  We were so pleased to have 6 young people in attendance who were happy to give of their time on a Saturday morning.

 Dario, Enzo, Hermana Larsen, Ruth, (Fabio, not pictured)


John(from Las Palmas) Kimberly


They worked hard for several hours and then enjoyed a good lunch.  We had chicken pasta salad, Jewish Sweet Bread, and chocolate chip cookies.  I am so glad that Jewish Sweet Bread bakes up as easily here as it does at home, and that it is liked by people of all nationalities.


We attended church in Vecindario today and we were able to hear Fabio and Elder Sarango speak. They both did a great job.  


This evening, we were able to watch the General Women's Conference.  Hermana Trone and I watched it in English and it was wonderful!  Since I was able to sing in the choir last March, I was so much more aware of all the preparations that takes place for one of these meetings.  That was an experience I will always treasure.  I enjoyed hearing the music tonight and seeing the sweet little Primary girls singing with their mothers.  

The talks were very inspirational.  I am motivated to examine my life and make improvements.  And of course I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's message:

 “Heavenly Father is constantly raining blessings upon us, but it is our fear, doubt, and sin that, like an umbrella, block these blessings from reaching us.”


After the meeting, we had a going away activity for Sarinhaah.  She is leaving for her mission to Brazil on October 8th.  We will miss her sweet, smiling face in Las Palmas, but what a blessing she will be to the people she serves in Brazil.  
Elder Larsen had a concentration game with the apostles and some fun facts about their lives.  And we had the delicious cinnamon rolls that I had baked this morning.

 Josué, John, Hermana Larsen, Omar, Eli, Denisse, Sara
Kimberly, Ruth Paola, Sarinhaah, Noemí, Aida, Xiomara

Sara, Aida, Sarinhaah, Noemí

I didn't take any pictures at our Institute classes, but we had some very good lessons this week.  Elder Larsen is a wonderful teacher.  He loves the scriptures and he is able to share his enthusiasm with the class members.  It is very rewarding to study the scriptures as a class and to learn from each other.  

Another very busy week for us, but we are grateful to be busy.  We love working with the missionaries and the young adults.  Hopefully, they are keeping us young.  We love serving the Lord. We are blessed to have this time to serve together!

No comments:

Post a Comment