Sunday, January 24, 2016

Unexpected Hospital Time!

Just let me say that I am thankful for music?  Have you heard me say that before?

While I was home, I sat with 3-year-old Sophie in Junior Primary.  They sang a beautiful song that I had never heard before, "Gethsemane."  I was so overcome by the words of the song, that tears were streaming done my face.  I could feel the love of our Savior as I thought about what He did for each of us at Gethsemane.  I found the song on the internet and have continued to enjoy listening to it and contemplating the gift our Savior has given us. You can hear the song here.

by Roger and Melanie Hoffman

Jesus climbed the hill
To the garden still
His steps were heavy and slow
Love and a prayer
Took Him there
To the place only He could go.

Jesus loves me.
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane.

He felt all that was sad, wicked or bad
All the pain we would ever know
While His friends were asleep
He fought to keep
His promise made long ago.

Jesus loves me.
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane.

The hardest thing that ever was done
The greatest pain that ever was known
The biggest battle that ever was won
This was done by Jesus.
The fight was won by Jesus.

Jesus loves me.
So he gave His gift to me
In Gethsemane

Jesus loves me.
So he gives His gift to me

From Gethsemane.

Monday was a crazy day at the Mission Home.  The Packs had gotten a new bed for Caroline on Saturday. Her 16th birthday was on Monday, and they wanted to surprise her by having the bed set up when she got home from school.  Her other bed was a king size and this one is a double, so Hermana Pack asked me to cut down her comforter to fit the new bed.  I was grateful that it went fairly smoothly.  They also had invited about a dozen missionaries to spend their Pday at the house. They had their interviews with President and enjoyed grilled hamburgers and hot dogs.

Later in the afternoon, we inspected the apartments of the Assistants to the President, Elder Koeven and Elder Guerra.  I am surprised that they managed to smile for the photo because they did not do well.  Let's just say they have some more cleaning to do.

Then we inspected the apartment of the office elders, Elder Regehr, Elder Veiss, and Elder Dugan. They had worked really hard on their cleaning and only had one shower that needed some extra attention.  This is a photo of them later in the week when they all had their residency cards.  

That evening, the Packs invited us over for dinner to celebrate Caroline's birthday.  We enjoyed yummy Chicken Artichoke soup.  

Afterwards, the missionaries and the Vierbuchens joined us for cake and ice cream.  Happy 16th Birthday to this wonderful young lady.

Tuesday morning we had a few extra missionaries in the office for interviews.  We love these missionaries and it is always nice to have a chance to visit with them.
Hermanas Staker, Ross, Elders Priest, Voss, Hermanas Valverde and Griffin

Tuesday, Caroline was supposed to shadow someone at work, so she came to work with me all day.  I had lots of jobs for her to help me with and it was a very productive and fun day.

Elder Larsen showed his mega-chart to President Pack.  Elder Larsen is trying to device a system that will better track all the information concerning our 98 apartments.  It has been a little overwhelming and he feels like he is racing the calendar to get it finished before we go home.

And here we have our fine APs modeling the matching gray sweaters that someone gave to them.

Thursday, started out very positive with an inspection of the Hermanas apartment.  As you can imagine, they put the apartments of the Elders to shame.  So, clean, so organized, and so creative. They have on the wall of their study room a chart of the ward and drawings of the missionaries who have served in this area.  Hermana Clements had started the drawings and Hermana Freestone has continued the tradition.  So creative!

But the fun day quickly came to an end when we received a phone call from Hermana Freestone that Hermana Figueiredo needed immediate medical assistance.  She called for an ambulance, but we got to the apartment before they did.  After determining that we could safely take her to the hospital ourselves, we canceled the ambulance and were on her way.  We took her to the closest hospital and were seen fairly quickly, but then the waiting started.  We were at the hospital until late that night. Elder Larsen drove me to their apartment so that I could get some things for the Hermanas. Heremana Figueiredo became very upset when she was told that Hermana Freestone could not spend the night with her.  After much insistence, they allowed Hermana Freestone to sit in a hard chair that was placed in between two beds.  What a long night for these sweet missionaries!  We were spending the night at the mission home because the Packs were up north.  Let's just say there were numerous phone calls back and forth on Thursday and Friday!  

Dr. Borras has worked with the missionaries in the Madrid Mission for the past 20 years.  He recommended a specialist at a different hospital, so we moved her there on Friday.  We were much happier with the facility and the staff.  They continued running more tests.  I stayed at the hospital with Hermana Figueiredo until about 9:00 p.m. Friday night, so that Hermana Freestone could shower and get a little sleep at the Vierbuchens.  They are always so helpful! We just love them.  

Saturday and Sunday we were just waiting for test results.  We were sad that they were not able to join us for our Sunday meal after church.  But we had a room full of elders.

Elders Larsen, Veiss, Koeven, Waisath, Nash, Regher
Elders Guerra and Dugan

After dinner, we drove up to the hospital to see the Hermanas.  We brought them some roast, carrots, potatoes, and gravy, with some ice cream bars.  The elders brought Hermana Figueiredo her crown and she allowed me to take a picture of her.  She was the Queen of England in a skit that the missionaries did at a ward activity last year.  It was nice to see her smiling again.  We are anxious to have another test run on Monday and hopefully we can receive some test results as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment